We are a group of Scottish Small Pipers in Rochester, NY. Most of us have played the Great Highland pipes and had the small pipes tucked away in our closet.
In Jan 2007 an invitation went out for anyone with small pipes to get together and play for fun (vs competition) and come with some music to share.
It evolved into getting together weekly at Granny’s Ice Cream parlor and playing/practicing April – Oct. Then we met in each others homes.
Our first public debut was March 2008 where we played in a Talent Show at Parkminster Church.
In September of 2010, we held the first annual Celtic Celebration Concert in memory of Van Jackman with great success!
Saturday, October 1st, 2011 at 7:00 pm was the second concert hosted by Ceilidh Connection at Parkminster Church, 2710 Chili Ave. It featured a variety of Celtic music, including Scottish Small Pipes, Northumbrian Small Pipes, Great Highland Pipes, Fiddle, Marimba & Pipes, and whistles and songs. It was a benefit concert in memory of Van Jackman, a former member and piper. The free will donation went to the scholarship in Van’s name through the Piper’s Gathering.
In March of 2013, there was a concert in Baldwinsville, NY that was a collaboration of Celidh Connection, the Small Pipe Society, A Harmony of Harps, and Gadzekes, a Syracuse country dance orchestra band. It was a Celtic program of instrumental music from Ireland, Scotland, Northumberland and Appalachia. Everyone played wonderfully and it was a great time!
Some place we have performed:
– Independent Living Centers: Ashton Place (Clifton Springs), Legacy (Victor), St. John’s Meadows: St. Patrick’s day Cocktail Hour, Rochester Friendly Home: Christmas Concert, Henrietta Senior Center, Highlands of Pittsford, Rochester Presbyterian Home
– St Joseph’s Mother House
– St Mary’s Brain Injury Unit
– Monroe County Libraries: Henrietta, Pittsford, Central, Irondequoit
– Robbie Burns Dinner
– South Wedge Farmer’s Market
– Sunset Hospice House
– Genesee Country Museum
– Reeds Ice Cream
– Syracuse Veteran’s Hospital
– Scottish Games, Liverpool, Syracuse, NY